Chris Mendla has provided computer consulting and web design services to the Greater Philadelphia area since 1988. We offer a full range of computer and web consulting services including:
- Networking - We provide home and small business networking including wired and wireless networks.
- Virus removal and prevention - We can clean up your infected machines and help prevent future infections.
- Hardware and software installation and repair - We can install most software and repair hardware
- Ecommerce solutions - If you are looking for an online store, we can help you get online.
- Web design - We have been designing websites for over 10 years. Our primary web platform is Joomla. We also support WordPress and can maintain and migrate sites built in MS FrontPage.
- Training - We can provide turnkey training or design custom training programs
- Smart Phone Support - The new generations of phones offer a variety of useful features. We can help you get the most out of your web capable phone.
- and more.
We service homes, home offices and small business in the Greater Philadelphia and Bucks County areas. We offer our web design services worldwide.
Call us at 215 942 0170 9 am to 9 pm Eastern.
Responsive pages with Artisteer / Ruby
I use Artisteer to generate the templates for my Joomla, Wordpress and Rails sites. I put together a Ruby on Rails site and it was not responsive. I dusted off some memory cells and remembered that there was a line in the layouts/application.html.erb file that needed to be changed. A file comparison with the same file from an app that was responsive pointed me in the right direction. There was
Interesting article on what hackers do with pwned sites
I found this today. It is a study of why hackers try to take over sites. https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/04/hackers-compromised-wordpress-sites/?utm_source=list&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hackersdo
Can't fill out the initial profile on Sendgrid while using chrome
I was trying to set up an account with Sendgrid. After you sign up, you need to fill out a profile. However, the Save button would not work in chrome. I did get the form filled out with Firefox.. Now it's time to roll up my sleeves and see if I can get Sendgrid to work with my Runy droplet on DigitalOcean.
Use whoami to check before running bundle install so you don't run it as root
I screwed up my droplet (ruby on rails) on my digitalocean hosting by running bundle install as root. When you do that, there is a warning that this will break rails for other users. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to fix that. Since I was getting started with that hosting, I decided to simply delete the existing droplet and recreate it. However, since I do need to use root from time
site monitoring with Ruby on Rails
I needed a way to show the status (Up/down) of internal Ruby applications. I found an answer on StackOverflow that pointed me in the right direction (Apologies that I can't locate that post). . I modified that somewhat by putting it into a method and passing the site name to it. If you put the following code in a controller, and all it as indicated in the remarks from your view, it will check
Vulnerability Scanner for Ruby/Rails
I found a tool called brakeman that does vulnerability scans of rails applications. It installs as a gem and you run it from the command line. I had some issues with it using up memory but found a way around it. http://brakemanscanner.org/ The paid version is $500 per license. However, the free version works pretty well. I can just do a > redirect to a text file from the dos command. i.e.