Chris Mendla has provided computer consulting and web design services to the Greater Philadelphia area since 1988. We offer a full range of computer and web consulting services including:
- Networking - We provide home and small business networking including wired and wireless networks.
- Virus removal and prevention - We can clean up your infected machines and help prevent future infections.
- Hardware and software installation and repair - We can install most software and repair hardware
- Ecommerce solutions - If you are looking for an online store, we can help you get online.
- Web design - We have been designing websites for over 10 years. Our primary web platform is Joomla. We also support WordPress and can maintain and migrate sites built in MS FrontPage.
- Training - We can provide turnkey training or design custom training programs
- Smart Phone Support - The new generations of phones offer a variety of useful features. We can help you get the most out of your web capable phone.
- and more.
We service homes, home offices and small business in the Greater Philadelphia and Bucks County areas. We offer our web design services worldwide.
Call us at 215 942 0170 9 am to 9 pm Eastern.
CREEPY - Google Satellite view removing vehicles from roads and highways
8/20/15 This is like something out of "The Day After" or "The Walking Dead". I was mapping a route with Google Maps and switched to Satellite view. I noticed that there was a lack of cars on I-95 in South Philly. Given Philadelphia's traffic, I thought that there should be SOME cars regardless of the time of day I started following 95 looking for the traffic jam.. I noticed that ALL
Microsoft allows manufacturers to install crapware that COMES BACK EVEN AFTER A CLEAN INSTALL
I can't imagine what microsoft is thinking.. Windows 8 and 10 allows manufacturers to install crapware ... AND... UNBELIEVABLY... set up the firmware so that the crapware reinstalls itself if you do a clean install of windows.. http://www.howtogeek.com/226308/the-windows-platform-binary-table-why-crapware-can-come-back-after-a-clean-install/
Issues with Oracle's VM Virtualbox and Windows 10
I have not 'upgrade' to Windows 10 yet. I needed to update my Oracle VM Virtualbox and found that there were some compatibility issues between Virtualbox and Windows 10 https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads Please be aware that Windows 10 is not yet officially supported! There are known problems with VirtualBox 5.0.2 on Windows 10 hosts and with Windows 10 guests. Some of the problems are
Scheduled restart of uvnc_service to restore connectivity when away with UVNC VNC server
I use UVNC to remote into my desktop while I'm not in my home office. I have been running into situations where the uvnc_service needs to be restarted. Of course, if you aren't in front of the machine or no one is available, then you can't restart the service. This could be a problem if you need access and are away. One solution, that I might consider later, would be a remote boot over IP.
Securing a small office network.
Many small business networks are horrendously insecure. The following is a basic list of things that you should do to secure your network. Get rid of 32 bit versions of Windows. There are architectural differences in 32 bit versions of Windows that make that OS much more vulnerable to attacks. Switch to 64 bit versions. Get rid of XP and Server 2003. Unbelievably, there are organizations
Joomla 4 working group post
We are starting to see some indications of how Joomla 4 will function and appear. The Joomla Working group has a post giving some of the first details. One of the really interesting thoughts is the promise of a 'one click upgrade from Joomla 3.x to Joomla 4'. The migrations for major releases have improved over time. The Joomla 1.7 to 2.5 was tedious at best. Migrations to 3.x went a bit