Rotating USB drives for backups
If you use USB hard drives in rotation for backups you can run into a problem in that hard drive. letter assignments are not sticky.
In one case I ran into an additional problem in that the existing configuration mapped a network drive as D. When you added a USBdrive, it took the first available drive letter which happened to be D. This caused conflicts.
A solution was to use USBDLM (USBDrive letter management). This runs as a service and precludes newly connected USBdrives from taking the mapped network drives.
- Belkin Network USB hub – Hardware Review
- Buffalo 1 TB Linkstation Network Addressable Storage Device
- Western Digital Hard drive stops sharing on an XP Pro Network
- Copying files from a non bootable Vista machine using Knoppix
- First install of a Buffalo Terastation Network addressable Storage Device
- Mybook 500 GB, XP and a temporary black screen of death
- Lightning Strikes and computers
- Retrieving data from a dead windows laptop hard drive with an external USB HD enclosure