Outlook Express Password Recovery
I have a client who just purchased a new machine. I’m migrating his apps and data over the weekend in order to deliver it Monday morning. One small problem was that he had no idea what he was using for a password for his email. The password was entered in Outlook Express so he never had to use it.
I tried a couple of free recovery tool but both of them crashed. The old machine is running windows XP home.
I found Mail PassView at download.com. BINGO – I was able to retrieve the password within seconds.
Mail Passview can be found at http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html.
These tools have legitimate uses. However one should be aware that they can be misused as well. If someone gets physical access to your computer while you are logged in, they can download, run and execute a password recovery app in less than 5 minutes. Physical security of your computers is important.
- Windows Password Recovery by Pogostick
- More on Poor Man’s Exchange
- PCHelpware – Remote Support
- Windows Easy Transfer and HP Recovery Partititions – BEWARE
- Using Knoppix to turn a dead windows machine into a web browser.
- k9 email client for the droid
- Securing a small office network.
- Bucks County Fios now requires port 587 for outgoing mail (SMTP)