BE Sure to claim your google places listing for your business
If you have a business, you should be sure that you have a listing in google places. Business owners can create update their listings for free.
This is a no brainer for storefronts and other brick and mortar businesses. Home based businesses need to exercise some caution. My company, CGM Systems, Inc is a home based business. I created a google places listing but listed “No Walk Ins, By Appointment only”. Our township has an ordinance that prohibits me from having customers visit my home business . I do not want them visiting anyway. (Note that the people who buy houses and make them rehab houses for addicts are allowed to use a house to run a multi million dollar business. However, I can’t have a client stop by to drop off or pick up a computer.. go figure).
The process to claim your google places listing is pretty straightforward
- Make sure you have a google account
- Go to http://www.google.com/places/
- choose “CLAIM YOUR BUSINESS”
- I haven’t been through these for a while. Login using your google gmail account and fill out whatever you can.
- Google will send you a postal mail letter with your pin
- Use your pin to activate your listing.
You can see our listing by searching for “Computers” in the general area of my home. Click here to see our listing
- Think about which google account you will use. You should only have one google account.
- Consider the implications before posting a home based business. Implications include: privacy, safety, local business and home codes, competitors etc. (ie. It might not be wise to list a home based firearms or pharmaceutics business due to the possibility of attracting thieves. )
- Consider adding photos of videos if they apply to your business
- LINK TO YOUR WEBSITE – it is simply amazing how many google places listings fail to have a link back to their website.
This is becoming more important as an ever increasing number of people are using google on their desktops and phones for their searches.
- Creepy but useful – Google Places and Timeline
- Ebay Hell – Breathing life into an old account
- USPS online postage
- Beware of using third party email as your prime email account
- Oops – Google password system might be hacked
- Spam – What a mess
- You can schedule posts on your business Facebook page.
- How to make a LOT of money on a website –