Windows Easy Transfer and HP Recovery Partititions – BEWARE
I was trying to use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from a client’s old HP laptop to a new Dell Laptop.
I saw that the Easy Transfer was going to copy the contents of the D drive from the old to the new. That ***could*** either fill up or overwrite the recovery partition on the new laptop.
When I went in to uncheck the d:recovery folder on the old machine’s “Easy Transfer” it would crash on the old machine. That happened every time I tried to uncheck the recovery folder.
Be VERY careful using this utility. Had I not checked which files and folders would be transferred, I would have most likely wrecked the recovery partition on the new laptop.
BTW – I rebooted the old PC and tried connecting and selecting again. That seemed to work.
- Windows “Easy” Transfer – Microsoft can’t tell time.
- Dropbox – Preventing certain folders from syncing on some of your devices
- Laptop Crash and Burn Recovery
- Found a potential huge disk space hog… Windows CD writer
- Private information on donated computers
- MS Backup is NOT included in Vista Home Premium – Implications
- Installation of VIrtuemart in Joomla – workaround
- Dual Booting Windows 8 and WIndows XP