A handy page of fixes for things such as XP menu items showing a .lnk ‘extension’ and not working
I was in the process of fixing an old XP box that had so many viruses it was buggier than a 10 dollar a night hotel room.
During the process, all of the menu items ended up with an .lnk extension and would not work . I found a site with some .reg files that fixed the issue.
WARNING – You need to be very careful downloading and running .reg files as these could be used to open holes in your system security that you could drive an aircraft carrier through.
I went to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and ran the .lnk fixer. I rebooted the machine and the program menu was now working normally.
Your mileage may vary.
- Using Knoppix to turn a dead windows machine into a web browser.
- Copying files from a non bootable Vista machine using Knoppix
- Mybook 500 GB, XP and a temporary black screen of death
- MS Backup is NOT included in Vista Home Premium – Implications
- Western Digital Hard drive stops sharing on an XP Pro Network
- Connecting a WD TV to a TV as an informational sign in a business.
- Mobilizing joomla sites with Jtouch
- Oddball Network problem with Quickbooks and other apps