Thoughts, information and reflections about technology

A handy page of fixes for things such as XP menu items showing a .lnk ‘extension’ and not working

I was in the process of fixing an old XP box that had so many viruses it was buggier than a 10 dollar a night hotel room.

During the process, all of the menu items ended up with an .lnk extension and would not work . I found a site with some .reg files that fixed the issue.

WARNING – You need to be very careful downloading and running .reg files as these could be used to open holes in your system security that you could drive an aircraft carrier through.

I went to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm  and ran the .lnk fixer. I rebooted the machine and the  program menu was now working normally.

Your mileage may vary.

 

Similar Posts:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact me
Archives
Categories