Workaround for Quickbooks 2010 backup files that crash on restore
Our Quickbooks 2010 data went haywire. Quickbooks was crashing when attempting to open our company file.
I restarted Windows 7 and the problem cleared up but it appeared that we had lost transactions. I tried the file doctor and a rebuild. the newer transactions still appeared to be missing.
I then tried to restore from a backup but that crashed.
Some people reported that they had luck restoring from a backup on another machine. The thought occurred that perhaps a restore would work if I logged on as another user on the same machine.
I am running Windows 7. I copied the quickbooks backups to the public documents folder. I then did a “Switch user” to another admin user. When I tried to restore the backups I was successful. The latest backup did not have the recent lost transactions but the prior backup did.
Then it was just a matter of setting up the restored file as the current company file.
- Test your backups periodically.
- Backup daily and keep archival backups.
- If you have trouble restoring a backup, try doing it as another user.
- Upgrade to 2013 when I get a chance.
- Oddball Network problem with Quickbooks and other apps
- Quickbooks 2010 crashing
- Joomla Backups
- Backing up PST files using the FILE EXPORT feature of Outlook
- Disaster Recovery for Oscommerce Sites
- Why site owners need to download backups of their websites.
- Backing up and restoring Google Contacts
- Back up your Google Drive documents!!!