Google will look at the mobile friendliness of your site as a ranking factor starting April 2015
Google is making a substantial change in their ranking algorithms. The mobile friendliness of your site (Responsiveness) will become a lot more important than it was.
At the very least, you should check your site on mobile devices or Opera’s mobile emulator.
If the site is not mobile friendly, then you should consider upgrading. If you are on Joomla versions prior to Joomla 3.x, then you should consider migrating from your old version. When properly configured, Joomla 3.x provides a responsive site.
“Starting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in our search results. Consequently, users will find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results that are optimized for their devices.”
For more information see the post on the Google Blog.
Google provides a tool to check the mobile friendliness of a site according to their criteria.
- Bing is focusing on the ‘mobile readiness’ of sites.
- Mobilizing joomla sites with Jtouch
- A deadman’s switch for google. – Allow someone access if you no longer check into google.
- Using the Author Feature of WordPress to Brand Your Name
- You might want to recheck your site’s mobile readiness with Google even iA reason for differences in Blogger, Google Analytics and Adsense page views f you passed previously.
- Meme – Mobile ready websites
- Monthly maintenance for Joomla (and other) sites.
- Quick fix for a Joomla site that google said wasn’t ‘mobile ready’