One of my WordPress sites came under a determined brute force password attack. The amount of traffic brought down the other sites on my shared hosting. I added the IP Geoblock and WPS Hide Logins. I also tweaked the settings for Wordfence. The number of brute force attacks dropped dramatically.
I noticed a huge discrepancy in reported page views for a site that had a spike in viewers. The solution turned out to be simple.
Preventing images from overflowing a column in WordPress with an Artisteer theme and possibly other themes.
I use Artisteer to create themes for my WordPress sites. As I was testing the sites, I noticed a major issue.
- The monitor I use for development is 1920 x 1080.
- I revised the WordPress large image to 800 x 800 in the WordPress Media Settings.
- The layout is three columns, a wide column for content and two thinner columns for navigation and ads.
I noticed that when I resized the browser to a more square aspect ratio, the image would start to overlap the two right columns. As I researched there were a lot of solutions posted about modifying functions.php and using plugins. The issue was that none of the instruction were really clear as to where to put the code in functions.php much less which functions. php to use. Continue reading
There was a Pinterest “Similar Pins” email in my inbox. I saw a photo that looked similar to one of my photos I had published on one of my sites. I double checked and sure enough, someone had stolen my photo and used it on another site. Worse yet, the original site had been taken over by a spammer.
A person’s Google account is becoming increasingly important. Google offers a quick security check for your account that takes about 3 minutes to complete. Continue reading
I am ramping up four sites on a shared host. It is inexpensive hosting so running four active sites plus another minor site is taxing the resources of the hosting. I tried using WP Super Cache but could not get the preload feature to work. I did get it working by doing the following.
I have a few sites that I am trying to grow on a shared host. I noticed that when I open admin windows for about five of the sites, the CPU maxes out.
I woke up this morning to see that some of my sites were a bit slow to respond. Shortly after, I was getting a resource limit message from my host when trying to get to the front or back ends of any of the WordPress sites. I checked cPanel and my resources were maxed out.
My sites were all down this morning. This site, www.chrismendlatech.com was getting a flood of overseas traffic.
I am working with a client to find a piece of software that will meet his needs. One of the software packages requires .net 3.5 or higher. Many of the solutions required downloading software or opening the registry. I found a much simpler solution.