Be careful whose wireless you access
Depending on where you live, how busy the local cops and prosecuter are, and your overall luck, freeloading on an open wifi connection could cost you dearly.
A guy in Michigan was spotted using a local cafe’s wireless. From the description, it doesn’t sound like he was a bad guy – volunteer firefighter, secretary for a bagpipe band.. It also sounds like the cafe owner wasn’t all that worried about the access.
If you have friends and family that are noobs, especially as far as wireless, you might want to warn them about being careful where they surf. If you know people who are complete jerks but clueless, tell them it’s ok to freeload wifi…
A Michigan man has been fined $400 and given 40 hours of community service for
accessing an open wireless Internet connection outside a coffee shop.
little known state law against computer hackers, Sam Peterson II, of Cedar
Springs, Mich., faced a felony charge after cops found him on March 27 sitting
in front of the Re-Union Street Café in Sparta, Mich., surfing the Web from his
PS – I’m really glad that the cops and prosecutor have gotten rid of all the drugs, street gangs, burglars, rapists and other hard core criminals and now have time to prosecute cases like this /sarcasm
- Wifi Repeaters… Not just for mooching Wifi at the shore..
- Verizon Wireless Droid X hotspot worse than useless
- The failure of Philadelphia’s “Free Wireless” project
- SprintPCS broadband at the Homestead in Hot Spings, Va
- Google is grabbing Wifi SSids and Mac addresses in Germany – Translation – Uh Uh privacy
- Check broadband availability before moving your home or office.
- Philadelphia’s “Free Wireless” project
- HWREN1 Hi-Gain Wireless-300N Range Extender installation