Windows Password Recovery by Pogostick
One of our clients got locked out of their Windows 2000 system. They somehow forgot the password.
The password recovery bootdisk from Pogostick is a great tool for these situations. As with any powerful tool, there are are some risks. Also, if the user opted for encrypting their files, you will not be able to recover them with this tool.
However, if you are simply trying to restore access and the files are unecrypted, this tool is worth a try. You first download the ISO file and then burn a bootable CD from that.
Some systems will require that you change the boot options to allow booting from a CD. Once you boot, then you will be in a linux/unix environment. In most cases, you can simply choose the default options.
We simply cleared the password for the Administrator account and saved the changes. Once we did that and rebooted, we were able to access the Adminisrator account. From there, changing the password for the user’s account was simply a matter of going into the control panel.
You can find the pogostick password recovery boot CD at
Keep in mind the other side of this. This is a fantastic tool for gaining legitimate access to systems. It can also be used for illigitimate access. Part of your security plan should involve controlling physical access to your systems.
- Outlook Express Password Recovery
- how to add additional admin users in oscommerce with htpasswd
- Windows Easy Transfer and HP Recovery Partititions – BEWARE
- Resetting a lost Frontpage 2002 id and pw on an extended server
- Searchable PDF file problem with Win 7/8 64 bit – Solved
- Securing your Joomla admin login from brute force attacks.
- Disaster Recovery for Oscommerce Sites
- Carbonite forces password changes