Better control of user access in Joomla prior to 1.6
Last Updated on
I needed to make some menu items only available to administrators in the frontend of a Joomla 1.5x site.
This would be relatively easy in Joomla 1.6 since the user control has a finer grain. However, it isn’t that easy in 1.5x.
I found a Joomla extension called Set Special Level. This extension is simple to use.
- Download the extension
- Install it through the extension manager in your site.
- Go to the plugins and enable the Set Special Access plugin
- Open the Plugin and look at the top right. You choose which level a user needs to be in order to see a menu, article, section or any component where you can restrict access.
- Set the restrictions. For example, if you have a menu item that you want to prevent average users from seeing, set the access level to “Special”. Only users with the level you set in the plugin will be able to see that menu item.
- Mobilizing joomla sites with Jtouch
- Solved – Menu won’t reorder in Joomla after migration from 1.5
- Workaround when admin menus aren’t working in Joomla 1.5.x
- Joomla 2.5 blank screen during front end login – SOLVED
- Bullets not lining up with text in Artisteer 4 joomla templates
- Resetting a lost Frontpage 2002 id and pw on an extended server
- Showing a Fabrik Form in a Joomla Article
- Joomla, Artisteer and graphical buttons for the top menu