Quick fix for a Joomla site that google said wasn’t ‘mobile ready’
The deadline is rapidly approaching for Google’s algo change that puts a heavy weight on a site’s mobile readiness.
I have a Joomla 3.4.1 site that, according to Google Mobile Readiness Tool, wasn’t mobile ready. The tool complained about resources being blocked in Robots.txt. The default robots.txt for Joomla blocks the media folder. The tool said it needed access to the media folder.
The list of blocked resources shows the URLs in a truncated fashion but mousing over a URL will show the full address.
The fix was to simply go into .htaccess robots.txt and remark out the line blocking the robots from the media folder (Or simply delete that line).
When I checked Google’s mobile tool again, the site was mobile ready..
Edit note – Many thanks to Randy Garbin for pointing out that I typed .htaccess when the correct file is robots.txt. My apologies for any confusion.
UPDATE – When I checked this month, I found that simply remarking out the lines in robots.txt was no longer working – I had to actually delete the lines.
- You might want to recheck your site’s mobile readiness with Google even iA reason for differences in Blogger, Google Analytics and Adsense page views f you passed previously.
- Google Mobile Readiness tool showing “fail” for a joomla site – Redid the Robots.txt file and it showed ‘success’ = Quirky Tool
- Bing is focusing on the ‘mobile readiness’ of sites.
- Google will look at the mobile friendliness of your site as a ranking factor starting April 2015
- Using a 301 redirect to avoid search engines seeing duplicate content.
- A Great SEO Checker for your sites
- Redirecting a Joomla OSMap sitemap to /sitemap.xml
- Monthly maintenance for Joomla (and other) sites.