Backing up and restoring Google Contacts
My previous post mentioned difficulties encountered in trying to restore a single deleted Google Contact.
Here is a method for making a periodic backup copy of your contacts and how to recover a single deleted contact (Assuming it was in the backup)
- Make sure you are in the OLD version of Google Contacts, You are in the old version if the last entry in the left hand menu is “Try Contacts Preview”
- Go to MORE, EXPORT
- Choose to export all contacts in the Google CSV format.
- The file will be downloaded on your machine. IF you have enough Google space, you could load this back up into Google Drive and create a folder called “Contact Backups”
- Go to IMPORT CONTACTS at the bottom of the left side menu
- Choose the file with all of your contacts.
- Note that the contacts will be in a label with a date time stamp. BE CAREFUL because any merge or remove duplicates could cause a mess.
- Find the record(s) that you want to recover, remove the datetime stamp label and add the appropriate label
- When done , delete all of the records in the datetime stamp folder. Select all of the records in the folder with the dropdown at the top left
- Once you’ve selected all, you can delete the contacts from the MORE button – NOTE – if there are multiple pages of contacts, you will have to repeat this process a couple of times
- Once you have deleted all of the contacts in the datetimestamp folder, then you can delete the group.
- Beware of Google Contacts – Recovering delete records is difficult
- Backing up PST files using the FILE EXPORT feature of Outlook
- How to backup gmail and other google accounts.
- Private information on donated computers
- Joomla Backups
- Blogger, custom domains and GoDaddy
- Installing office 365
- Fabrik for joomla 2.1 to 3.x migration.